Kvass is one of the most popular drinks in the heat. In summer, it can not only quench your thirst, but also become part of a full-fledged dish – okroshka. Bread kvass can be prepared at home.
- rye crackers (slices of rye bread dried in the oven) – 120 g;
- fresh yeast – 15 g;
- sugar – 4 tbsp. l.;
- hot water – 2.5-3 liters.
- warm water – about 2.5 liters;
- sugar – 4-7 tbsp. l.;
- crackers from 2-3 slices of rye bread.
Recipe for homemade bread kvass:
- Dry the slices of rye bread in the oven.
- We prepare the sourdough: pour sugar into a clean jar, put crackers.
- Fill with hot water (boiling water). Pour water “up to the shoulders” of the jar. We leave to cool.
- When the temperature of the bread infusion is 30–35 ° C, prepare the yeast: dissolve it in a quarter cup of warm water.
- Then add to the jar. We cover the jar with gauze, do not close the lid. Leave in a warm room for a day.
- A day later, a thick layer forms at the bottom of the jar – this is the leaven.
- We drain the liquid through gauze – this is the first kvass, it gives off quite a lot of yeast, so we just pour it out.
- We take out large soaked pieces of bread from the jar, and what remains at the bottom is sourdough. We take it out of the jar, wash the jar and return the leaven.
- The first starter is still rather weak and contains a certain amount of yeast, but with each preparation, the kvass will become stronger, the smell of yeast will completely disappear. Now you can start making kvass.
- Add sugar to the jar of sourdough (four to seven tablespoons, depending on preference). Pour crackers from two or three slices of rye bread. Fill with warm water (30–35 ° C) also “up to the shoulders”. We cover with gauze and leave for a day or a little longer – it will be clear by taste and smell that kvass is ready.
- We drain the finished kvass, you can store it by closing it with a nylon lid in the refrigerator. Remove the soaked bread from the jar. We put the next portion of kvass. The amount of starter will increase each time, but you leave only the required amount.